Friday, February 6, 2015

Claire's Dime A Dozen Review and Swatch

Hi everyone! So I was at the mall, making my rounds to the stores that sell nail polish(Yep, no clothes shopping for me at the mall..just polish. haha). I went into claire’s and saw that they have a couple of cool special collections right now. The mood polishes, which are thermals, and some that say “Liquid metal”. These come in an opaque black bottle and the shiny cap supposedly tells you what color it is. I was particularly drawn to the silver in the collection. I don’t currently own a silver chrome (I bought OPI Push and Shove but she tragically perished in a brutal fall to the floor. Rest in peace.), so I bought it, and it is the polish that I have to share with you today.


Claire's Dime A Dozen Sunlight

Claire's Dime A Dozen Intense Sunlight

Claire's Dime A Dozen Shade



It's called Dime A Dozen(which I think is a great name for it), and as I stated before, it's a silver chrome. I do want to note that it's not a pure, white leaning silver, it goes more towards grey. I like that, because I think it makes it look more like actual metal.
Now for the review,


Application
I have mixed feelings about the way it applyed. At first I tried to apply it straight onto my nails with no base coat (I usually do this unless I think something is going to stain, because I think it better shows the polish since not everybody has the same base coat and some don't use one at all), and was really impressed with how opaque it was. It was technically completely opaque in one coat, but once it started drying I saw the problem.
I'd forgotten that chromes show every ridge and imperfection on nails, and I'm one of the unfortunate few who has a lot of ridges. I'm an ex-biter (*gasp*), and needless to say my nails are far from smooth.
So I took that off, and this time applied a coat of Essie Ridge Filler Base Coat before the chrome. There were less ridges shown, but this presented another problem. Streaks. Every time I went over a place twice with my brush it would streak a little bit, and the brush in the bottle, while it was easy to control, was skinny and stiff and made it difficult to cover the nail in less that four strokes. One good thing I found was that once it dried most of the streaks disappeared. So if you get this apply your first coat then let it dry before putting on another.


Look


I like the effect of this polish. If you can get it smooth it looks very metal like.


Price
Currently it costs about $6.50 at Claire's stores. I can't find the online price so that is not definite.


Overall
It's not my favorite thing in the world, but I don't hate it either. The effect is pretty cool once you put in the effort to get it smooth, or if you're one of the lucky ones with no ridges (I'm so jealous of you).

Before I sign off, I do want to add that putting 2 coats of Butter London Dodgy Barnett over it makes a really pretty metallic silver/grey holo. :)




Tah dah! I love that combination! I hope you enjoyed this post! Happy Painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment