Tuesday, January 14, 2014

I Love Nail Polish Nostalgia Ultra chrome Review and Swatches!

Hi everyone! So lately I was online, and was looking at my favorite online Indie polish store to waste time on(expecially useful when I have big research papers due the next day), I Love Nail Polish. Home of the amazing set of Ultrachromes. I'd been eyeing them for weeks, and recently I caved and decided that I had to have one. After much hard thinking, I have to share with you the new queen of my stash.
Her name is Nostalgia, and shes smoking hot. Seriously, this is a really pretty polish. Its the newest of the bunch, added a bit before christmas as part of the holiday collection. As all the other Ultrachromes in the set, it has amazing color shifting power. I coukd've taken about a million photos of this one polish, and i'm pretty sure that I literally took about 100. But I won't make you sit through all of them, so heres a few of the best pictures in various lightings.





The flash lit up the metallic shimmer in the polish really well, but you can only see one color in the pictures with it on. 







Indoor lighting, how pretty it is really depends on the type of light. For me, the light in my house didn't really do it justice.











Ive seen a bunch of people take pictures of ultra chromes under water, so I gave it a try. I'm really glad I did, because it looks incredible! You can see whole rainbows on the nail when you look at it from some angles. It really brings out the green, and you can even see some blue, which you don't see otherwise. 

The only lighting I haven't managed to get a picture of is what it looks like in sunlight. Where I live, its been either cloudy or rainy for the last week or so. Every once and a while the sun will come out, but the second I get my camera its gone again. I think it enjoys taunting me. But let me tell you, while sunlight normally tends to dull polishes like this, this one polish is unbelievably stunning in the sunlight. It brings out a strong metallic shimmer and its just amazing. I'll try to see if the weather will cooperate with me over the next few days, to see if I can show you a picture of it.

Now, onto my review,

Application

I'm going to be honest here, I'm not totally sure. I applied the polish in really low light because we had family over, and they were watching a movie when I received the package, and I couldn't wait for them to turn the lights back up before trying it out. So I think that the polish was opaque in 2 coats, but i'd have to do it again to be absolutely certain. Although I'm not completely sure of the opacity, I did apply a new coat after a few weeks of wear, and it was so fun to apply. The polish is really shimmery when you put it on, and that makes it cool.

Look

Just a warning, it doesn't look like the swatch photo ILNP has on their website. As you can see from the pictures, its darker, and not quite as smooth. Don't get me wrong, it's gorgeous, but I didn't get exactly what I thought I was getting when I got it. Also, i'd recommend you either buff your nails or put down a base coat. Chromes tend to show ridges and bumps in nails really easily. 

Price

$12.50 a bottle. For any normal colors, I wouldn't have paid that. I'm not the type of person who normally goes for brands(Theres been a few exceptions, but to me, whats the point in paying a bunch of money for, say, a purple Chanel polish if you can buy a similar color in a cheaper brand?) But, going back to this polish, this is worth the money. The entire Ultra chrome collection is unique, I've never seen anything that matches up to the color shifting power that they possess. If there is something similar, I haven't seen it. 

So that about wraps up this review. What do you think? Will you be adding this beauty to your collection? 

Happy painting!





No comments:

Post a Comment